NVIDIA GeForce 290.53 Beta Drivers Released
Skyrim's shadowy indoor areas benefit most from our performance improvements and optimizations. In the scene tested, GTX 560 performance increased by 19.68%, GTX 560 Ti performance increased by 19.38%, GTX 560 Ti 2-Way SLI performance increased by 19.17%, and GTX 570 performance increased by 16.70%.
Outdoor performance has improved also, though to a far lesser extent. In the scene tested, GTX 560 performance increased by 2.81%, GTX 560 Ti performance increased by 2.78%, GTX 560 Ti 2-Way SLI performance increased by 2.10%, and GTX 570 performance increased by 0.56%.
December 20th, 2011
By Andrew Burnes
The new NVIDIA GeForce 290.53 beta drivers are now available to download. Recommended for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim players, the 290.53 beta drivers increase performance in the year's most played game by up to 25% and also include an updated, faster Ambient Occlusion profile that should eliminate the unsightly shimmering experienced and reported by members of the GeForce Community. And finally, we've updated our 3D Vision crosshair to better match the Skyrim's default 2D crosshair.
If you haven't already, make sure to check out our comprehensive, 'Bethesda-Recommended' Skyrim tweak guide, our five essential Skyrim tweaks, and our Skyrim Optimal Playable Settings to get the absolute most out of the action role-playing game and your graphics card.
Release Notes In Full
Optimizations For The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Increases performance by up to 25% in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim vs. 290.36 drivers (measured with GeForce GTX 560 at 19x10 Ultra – Indoor Scene). Results will vary depending on your GPU, system configuration, and in-game location.
- Updates the NVIDIA Control Panel ambient occlusion support for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to a higher performance profile.
- Added new 3D Vision laser sight /crosshair options to better match Skyrim crosshairs.
Adds the following SLI profiles:
- Afterfall: InSanity
- Trine 2
- WRC 2: FIA World Rally Championship 2011
Added or updated the following 3D Vision game profiles:
- The Adventures Of Tintin: The Game – Rated 3D Vision Ready
- Ignite – Rated Good
- Orcs Must Die! – Rated Good
- PT Boats: Knights Of The Sea – Rated Good
- PT Boats: South Gambit – Rated Good
- Stronghold 3 – Rated Good
- Trine 2 – Rated 3D Vision Ready
Key Bug Fixes
- Fixes some random instances of triangular artifacts when playing Battlefield 3 (fix is now enabled for GeForce 400 and 500 series GPUs).
- Fixes a default panel resolution-timing bug in 290.36.