Batman: Arkham City Patch Improves DirectX 11 Performance
December 7th, 2011
By Andrew Burnes
Earlier today, Warner Bros. Entertainment released a Batman: Arkham City PC patch to combat performance problems evident when playing the highly rated title using the DirectX 11 renderer. Unfortunately, the DirectX 11 fixes only work on 64-bit operating systems at this time, so those using Windows 7 and Vista 32-bit will have to wait that bit longer for the second in-development update. The 187MB patch also includes a few crash fixes and a player progression fix, as the patch notes below reveal:
We have just released a patch for Batman: Arkham City PC that provides fixes a variety of DirectX 11 issues, as well as fixes for a few other non-DirectX 11 related issues. The DirectX 11 fixes will apply for the majority of players, however, some specific Steam users will experience issues when running under DirectX 11.
With this latest patch, Steam users with the following Windows Operation Systems should avoid running the game under DirectX 11 until further notice:
- Windows Vista 32-bit
- Windows 7 32-bit
Users running Windows 7 32-bit or Windows Vista 32-bit should only use DX 9 settings until a future patch that addresses this specific issue is released. We are actively working to address the remaining issues tied to DirectX 11 for users running 32-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Major fixes that this patch addresses are listed below.
- Performance / hitching issues have been greatly improved for running in DirectX 11.
- An issue with players running out of Video Memory or encountering a Rendering Thread Exceptions has been addressed. This was primarily affecting 32-bit Operating Systems.
- A progression block after defeating [an end-of-game boss character] has been fixed. This was an issue that occurred primarily on lower end computer setups and is described as Batman not readying his Reverse Batarang.
- A crash that occurred when scrolling between the Character Bios and Arkham City Stories has been fixed.
- A crash that occurred when selecting “Press Start” immediately when available at the Title Screen has been fixed. The issue was described as crashing/hard locking around the DLC (Downloadable Content) check.
Thank you all for your patience.
Patches for digital versions of the game purchased from etailers other than Steam can be acquired directly from the seller's website; boxed retail copies will be patched directly through Games For Windows Live the next time the game is loaded. Comments, questions and feedback pertaining to the patch should be placed in this forum thread.