Far Cry 4 NVIDIA GameWorks Effects & Features Unveiled In Tech Trailer
Far Cry 4 is an open-world game like Assassin’s Creed Unity, yet completely different, offering first-person shooting, crazy action, unrestricted exploration, and free roaming co-op shenanigans that see you base jump from the highest peak to the lowest valley without a single loading screen.
If you've played previous Far Cry games you know the franchise has a reputation for spectacular graphics, and Far Cry 4 is no different, rendering a fictional Himalayan area called Kyrat in incredible detail, with unprecedented scope, size and verticality. And as with the previous games, Far Cry 4 looks and plays best on PC thanks to improved textures, effects, assets, additional control options, faster framerates, the ability to render the game at higher resolutions, and of course, extra PC-exclusive graphics technologies.
For Far Cry 4 we've taken on the challenge, and for a first look at the NVIDIA GameWorks technologies coming soon to the highly anticipated sequel you can check out our Far Cry 4 GeForce GTX Technology Trailer:
Additional details about the features presented can be found below, but for the full shebang you'll have to hold out for our Far Cry 4 launch story on November 18th:
- NVIDIA HairWorks adds dynamic, realistic fur to many of the animals found throughout Far Cry 4's Kyrat. Built using advanced tessellation techniques, HairWorks’ Fur can be fully shadowed and shaded by the game’s lighting, our HBAO+ technology, and our PCSS technology, right down the skin layer of an animal, increasing image quality massively. Additionally, layers react to external forces, such as wind and character movement, as one would expect, improving realism.
- NVIDIA HBAO+ adds realistic Ambient Occlusion shadowing and shading around objects and surfaces that occlude light, with a higher degree of precision than other AO techniques, significantly improving image quality in every scene.
- NVIDIA Percentage-Closer Soft Shadows (PCSS) add contact hardening soft shadows throughout the game, increasing image quality in every scene.
- NVIDIA TXAA temporal anti-aliasing eliminates the distracting movement of anti-aliased lines and edges, and also eliminates other artifacts associated with anti-aliasing, improving every element of the game.
- NVIDIA God Rays enhance Far Cry 4's volumetric lighting system with tessellated crepuscular light rays, significantly improving image quality in many scenes.
Far Cry 4 is a massive game, and the PC version offers the same gameplay features and systems as the current-gen Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles. Accordingly, Ubisoft recommends a well-equipped system for smooth gaming at 1920x1080:
Minimum System Requirements
- OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit versions only)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz
- Memory: 4GB
- Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 with 1GB or more of VRAM
- Direct X: Version 11
- Hard Drive: 30GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers
Recommended System Requirements
- Processor: Intel Core i5-2400S @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better
- Memory: 8GB
- Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 with 2GB or more of VRAM
Cranking up the Dynamic Super Resolution level and enabling all of our GameWorks technologies will require something that bit faster, however, and should you decide to get that something we've got the perfect offer for you: upgrade your system with a GeForce GTX 980, 970, 780 Ti or 780, or buy a new GeForce GTX 900M notebook, and you can pick the path of an assassin, a freedom fighter, or a racer, and download Assassin’s Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, or The Crew for free. For all the details head on over to the Pick Your Path bundle page.