Steam Beta Client Promotes Screenshot Sharing
By Jimmy Thang
Valve has released a Steam client beta that will allow players to take screenshots of their games to share it with the rest of the Steam community. The beta client has also tweaked and fixed other features. Complete patch notes are posted below:
- Changed microphone voice input from 11khz to 16 khz
- Changed voice output from 8khz to 16khz
- Moved game invites from friends outside of the chat stream, into their own panel in the chat dialog
- [Mac OSX] Fixed a problem where attempting to resume a paused/interrupted download could always report ‘server unavailable’
- Fixed games not launching automatically after resolving a cloud conflict
- Fixed download rate sometimes erroneously reporting very high speeds
- Added password strength meter when you change your password
- Added UI prompting you to choose a new password if you've had support change your password
- Added Steam screenshots feature. Press F12 in any game to take a screenshot. Screenshots are automatically uploaded to the steam cloud after exiting the game, or can be manually uploaded while in-game through the in-game overlay. Screenshots can be managed through the community site and can be published to your Steam Community Profile to share with your friends. Games that use DirectX 8 and earlier are not yet supported.
While players can opt in the beta today, be forewarned that it is still just a beta. Several Steam forum members are complaining that it is causing their game/client to crash. Regardless, to opt in, boot up steam, go to the settings tab, look under "beta participation," change "NONE" to "Beta Update" and restart the application as prompted.